Racial Justice Reads: Notes and Reactions.

During the racial justice reads i’m hearing the cultural struggles with each author and their writing of their books (memoirs). Starting with Meredith Talusan with him being a transgender and his living in the philippines to live in america. On to Jaquira Diaz, she has a lot of quotes that i can relate to in the book. For example when her grandmother is doing her hair and having curly hair would be a struggle because when my grandmother would do my hair with a comb it would get stuck and i’d cry because i’m tender headed. My reaction towards the the read of “ordinary girls” it seems like her grandmother is kind of a racist in the sense of her criticizing Jaquira’s hair because she’s half black because her father. Honestly I choose “Ordinary Girls” to read and do the first essay on in because of her story as a hispanic and half black girl in New York to learn and relate to jaquira.

2 thoughts on “Racial Justice Reads: Notes and Reactions.

1. Kedwin Reyes

I agree with your claim about her grandmother being racist because even though that’s her grandaughter she still judges her presence and tries to change how she looks. I think that Her grandmother does not like the fact that she has an African American background and wants to try to change her so she can look and act white like herself.