Final Thoughts On Heavy

After reading the last few pages of “Heavy” I find it interesting to see the gambling problem Kiese Laymon is dealing with. He writes about how he would go to the casino and gamble sometimes gambling away his entire paycheck. He writes about how sometimes he would go in with hundreds of dollars and leave with thousands and sometimes he would go in with thousands of dollars and leave with nothing. One of the more interesting things that happens towards the end of the book is Laymon reconnecting with his mother and talking to her about things that happened while he was growing. They talk about things like how Laymon lied to his mother about what he was going through and they promise to tell each other the truth from then on. I really found this part of the start of the end of the book really nice because to me it seems like his mother is trying to get a new start with him. Skipping forward a bit to the last couple of paragraphs I just want to point out these things Laymon writes. “There will always be scars on, and in, my body from where you harmed me. You will always have scars on, and in, your body from where we harmed you. You and I have nothing and everything to be ashamed of, but I am no longer ashamed of this heavy black body you helped create. I know that our beautiful bruised black bodies are where we bend.” (Laymon 196). I feel this is a good way to end off because I interpret this as Laymon not ignoring everything he has experienced but instead saying that although there will always be “scars” on and in his body he is no longer ashamed of who he is. Overall this was a great book and as confusing as it was at some points is was genuinely amazing to have a peek into Kiese Laymon’s life through his writing.

1 thought on “Final Thoughts On Heavy

1. Kedwin Reyes

Jose, I liked reading your Final summary it’s very well developed. You did a good job of summarizing the ending good enough for individuals who have not read the book to understand. Do you think even up until this day Laymon still does not feel ashamed or do you believe in certain situations he does feel neglected?