Ordinary Girls: Final thoughts and comments

Finishing Ordinary Girls was a bit bittersweet. 

I guess even if I told myself I didn’t have any expectations, I was still waiting for a fairytale ending. I thought the book was great, something I would have not picked out from the shelf on my own, but I did enjoy it. 

At times, it was hard to read. Not in the way that I couldn’t understand it, but there was so much information to process, a lot was going on in a short amount of time and a lot of touchy subjects.

I have never read a memoir before, so I don’t know if it is typical or just Diaz’s writing style, but I feel like I was reading a diary, but not in the correct order. The subtitles helped to put in context her stories, but the jumping around was confusing at times. The book felt personal, as if she was talking directly to me, which I liked.

As mentioned before, I enjoyed the book. 10/10 would recommend, and I understand why it got so many raving reviews. 

2 thoughts on “Ordinary Girls: Final thoughts and comments

1. Angel Caceres (He/Him)

Good review about the memoir. I also enjoyed it and was not a fan with the whole going back and forth. I love on how she just tells every single detail that she had in her live, it really shows on how it was like to be Jaquira.

2. Hamza Trawally (He/Him)

Hey Karen! I have to say I agree with your sentiments on the ending. I knew going into this book that since it was a memoir I wouldn’t really experience a traditional ending with whether it be a good or bad one. still it was a little bittersweet to get to the end without really having a ending because just like the real world this book really didn’t end it just kept going. love this book and might reread it just for the fun of it.