Ordinary Girls Summary 4

In the final section Jaquira graduates school and travels to Puerto Rico a few times as well. Jaquira’s mother was also in the hospital battling schizophrenia and other health problems she had. In the section “Returning” it states “as I’m lining up with all the other graduates, I will look for my family in the crowd, Abuela sitting next to Alaina, Papi, Meira, Anthony, Tio, and Chieto.” (Diaz 194) This shows how Jaquiras family supported her when she graduated even though she grew apart from her family. Jaquira was very happy and felt emotional that her family supported her and how proud they were that she graduated. Another example, in the section “Returning” it states “I can’t stop smiling. I am overwhelmed with happiness, with love, with hope, with the certainty that I will be a writer someday, but also,more than anything else, I wish my mother was here.” (Diaz 194) This shows how Jaquira became very successful all though she faced many struggles throughout her life. Jaquira is a prime example of overcoming adversity because she was doing drugs and even dropped out of school countless times, but in the end she graduated college and became a successful author. 

1 thought on “Ordinary Girls Summary 4

1. Jasmin Suarez (She/her)

Hello Adrián, it is surprising that you have finished the book, I was waiting to know if Jaquira managed to be successful and if his life stopped being so complicated. Also, I can argue that Jaquira must have been happy to see that her mother was hospitalized for treatment for her schizophrenia. Surely, her success didn’t stop and she must have felt proud that she didn’t keep walking in the wrong way.